How to make Android Emulator Run Faster?

I noticed Android emulator startup was very slow. Even after starting, navigating apps was also slow.

I tried following tweaks on Android 3.0 (HoneyComb) emulator to speed up the emulator but above tweaks should work on any android emulator which supports snapshots.

I was looking for the solution and I learnt following few good tricks from Android blogs:
Use this options whilte starting eumlator:
emulator -cpu-delay 0 -no-boot-anim -cache ./cache -avd avd_name

or

emulator -cpu-delay 0 -no-boot-anim -cache ./cache -scale 0.8 -avd avd_name
You can also use Android Snapshot feature described here.

Or you can follow below steps to enable snapshot feature:
  1. When creating (or editing) an AVD, tick the 'Snapshot enabled' box.
  2. The launch dialogue for a snapshot-enabled AVD will offer additional 'Launch from snapshot' and 'Save to snapshot' options.
  3. The first time a snapshot-enabled AVD is launched, there is no snapshot data so it will boot normally. Pressing the close button will save the state (if that's been selected) and then quit the emulator.
Once the snapshot has been saved loading is faster.

Other points to note with snapshot AVDs:
  • If you want to reboot the phone, you need to un-tick the 'Load from snapshot' option.
  • The time is corrected to the current time of day from the emulated cell tower, on average after 8 seconds after restore.
  • Some emulated systems, like cell tower strength, may not be saved to the snapshot, and will restore with the emulator's default setting.
Issues faced:
While I was debugging my code, I was making lots of code changes and reloading my app again and again from eclipse. I noticed due to above tweaks may be my app was not getting reloaded properly. I was playing around with Android Sync provider may be due to that I was facing these issue.

Comments

  1. hi..Im college student, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is another trick to make AVD faster if you have an Intel Virtual Technology CPU. Just need to install Intel Hardware Accelerated Execution Manager and a plugin for AVD, then it's done. It really speeds my AVD up. I found this link made pretty detailed instructions http://hintdesk.com/android-how-to-speed-up-android-emulator/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How do I optimize GWT compiler for faster compilation?

How to enable internet access from Android emulator using proxy?

How to use Fork/Join Framework's RecursiveAction feature in JDK7?